Thursday, June 19, 2008

How to Save Money in Tokyo - Point Card


This is another post on How to Save Money in Tokyo. If you are new to this blog, you might also want to check up the previous posts my friend. This time I will be talking about the point card system in Japan. I know many of you might be thinking...Oh man! You can't save money by point cards in Japan dude. I agree. The amount of money can't saved is really limited. But think! All you have to do is to pass your card to the shop while paying money and you get points (money) in return! Isn't that wonderful? The shop gives you money back!

When I was studying in Taiwan and Thailand, I didn't even care about point cards so I don't know about the point card system in other countries. But here in Japan, because I live by myself now. To save money is something concerning my survival in Tokyo haha.

Anyways, if you want to save money here, try to get you point cards from the shops you often go to. The point cards usually gives you (3%~10%) discount, or they give you back points equal to 3%~10% of the price of the product. With the points paid back, you could use them when the next time you buy stuffs in the same shop. To apply for a point card only takes up 5~10 mins or sometimes even less. So there's no reason not to make one right?

Now you've got your point card and you are ready to save money by it ya? Sometimes you receive a lot of points and sometimes you receive only a little bit points when buying the same product. The reason is simple. In Japan, most of the shops would have their returning points doubled, tripled or more once or twice a week. So, you definitely have to find out what day of the week they have their points multiplied. It looks simple but to tell the truth, a lot of Japaneses don't know it!





These are 3 of my point cards, each of them helps me save a few thousand yen a year. It's not a huge amount of money but it saves you money by doing very little work. One more thing is that, since global warming is getting worse and worse these days. Many shops have started a campaing which they call it ecology point (eco pointo) If you bring your own bag to the shops and not receiving plastic bags from the shops. You get the point! Easy and Simple right? haha

I hope again you enjoyed this post. If you have any suggestion or question on How to save money in Tokyo or point cards. Mail me at tienhaow@gmail.com or leave some comment here. I would be happy to see any ^^

No comments: