Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How To Save Money in Tokyo - Supermarket


This is another post on How To Save Money in Tokyo, in the last post I have talked about how to wisely use Shop 99. So if you are new to this blog, you might want to check shop 99 up first. Alright, let's get straight to the point of this post. How to save money by using supermarket.

In Japan, they have some widespread supermarkets such as nikunohanamasa, keio store, tokyu store and so on. They all sell same stuff in a slightly different price. However, they all still share one similarity which is the Hangaku (half-price) system. This is the thing we will be focusing in this post. In Japan, all the nearly-expired food or drink product will be put on hangaku sticker, mostly after 7~8 p.m. For most of the cases, even they are put on with half-price sticker, it can still last 1 or 2 days. I know it's annoying and tiring if you have to go to the market everyday or every other day. But for money's sake! Let's put some effort in it man! Unless you don't care about saving 50% of your money.

Things get half-priced everyday after 7~8 p.m are sashimi, lunch boxes, meat, some fruits, fish and etc. I think just by reading this list you'll get an idea what kind of products get half-priced. By only buying half-priced ingredients, I can spend less than 10,000 yen (around 100 $) a month and still be eating 3 meals a day and able to keep myself healthy.

Alright I think I will stop here for today. Now you've learnt another trick on How To Save Money in Tokyo huh. The next post I will be writing about their point card system and how to save money by using their point cards. If you have any questions feel free to mail me at tienhaow@gmail.com

No comments: